Sunday 12 January 2014

Alma Top v1.0

I fell in love with Sewaholic Patterns after my first Black Cambie Dress. This Sewaholic Alma Top is much easier than I expected. I read rave reviews on this pattern. I am a big fan of the Peter Pan collar, and I do need some tops/blouses to "brighten up" my wardrobe. So here it is:

great top to go with shorts

The sizing and fitting
You don't have to fiddle with the fitting. It's a semi-fitted top. Allow some ease. Use the bust measure to determine the size to cut because you want the armholes and sleeves to fit well. 

I think I should have shortened the sleeves by around 1 cm after I finished the garment. 

i think the sleeves are a little bit too long

The fabric
The fabric is the pretty printed cotton poplin from Spotlight. The print turns out to be much better than when it's on the bolt. I only used 1 meter of fabric (120cm width), and 35 cm solid colour poplin for the collar. It cost me around $10. 
cute, pretty print on the fabric from Spotlight

The zip
The only challenging step (compared to the rest of the construction) is installing the invisible zip on the side seam. Follow the instructions and you will be pretty safe. 
zip on the side seam

The hem
I decided to make good use of my Bernina Narrow Hem Foot #64. The narrow hem is great on light weight fabric and for tops or blouses. As it uses less seam allowance, I shortened the pattern by 1 cm.
Thanks to Bernina foot #64

Narrow hem is great for light weight fabric

What's Next
I just finished By Hand London's Georgia Dress. Hope the review will be up next week. Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment below. 
what's next...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...