Sunday 5 February 2017

Late to the Renfrew Top Party

I am really late to the Renfrew Top Party, although I have had this pattern since three years ago.  The main reason I hadn’t sewn it is because I kept avoiding knits and only seriously wanted to starting sewing it once I bought a coverstitch machine. I did buy a Janome CoverPro a couple years ago, but I wasn’t fully satisfied with it. I could have given a lengthy review about the machine and that will only discourage you from getting one.


So fast forward to the beginning of 2017, I was frustrated by my CoverPro enough to have the courage to buy a brand new Baby Lock BLCS-2 Coverstitch Machine. I spent big $$ for it. I wouldn’t say it’s worth every cent because Baby Lock’s prices are highly inflated in Australia, but it’s a GOOD coverstitch machine. I finally have all the motivation to make my first Renfrew top (I reckon there will be more).



Size
I cut size 6 although my measurement is a size 8 according to the size chart. I didn’t make much adjustment except shortening the sleeve by ½ inch. I am happy with the fitting.



Fabric
I am not familiar with the different types of knit fabric. I can’t tell what fibres are in this fabric. The fabric is very comfy and warm. I use 1.2 metre @ $4/metre.

I always try to match the stripes at the side seams if I am sewing stripe fabric. It just looks much better.

Stripes at side seams matched.

Construction
The construction is very straightforward. Most of the knit fabric patterns give 5/8 inch seam allowance. At the beginning, I followed the instructions and sewed 5/8" S.A on my sewing machine, then I ran it under the serger, trimming off 1/4" S.A and left a narrow S.A. I found this a bit time consuming. So when I did the waistband (the last seam of the project), I just stitched on the serger, eyeballing 1/4" seam allowance to trim it off. It is actually really easy and saves lots of time. I think I need to get used to sewing knit fabric directly on the serger from now on.


At the neckband, I made good use of my babylock coverstitch.


Like all my other Sewaholic projects, I always want to make another one after the first. Renfrew is no exception. Plus, I love wearing knit tees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...